Friday, October 28, 2011

Friends Of GV Library Update

The FRIENDS OF THE GARDEN VALLEY LIBRARY met in the GV Library Community Room, on October 6, first Thursday of the month as always, and Christy Jauregui reports here on activities and business enacted:

~ Our quilt raffle made $1053.00 in net proceeds, and we consider it to have been a very good project! Kathy Passie reported she is willing to undertake a quilt for this project again; Jody Mabe might consider a similar offer. Stay tuned!


~ The feasibility of displaying the Art Group Quilters’ quilts (Kathy P and Gretchen Reil) was discussed. Kathy and Gretchen have visited the library and will begin the displays after the Fiber Arts Faire. Richard Wilson suggested using picture molding around the stacks for hanging art, quilts, etc., and is willing to assume the project if the Friends are willing to provide the funds. He would consider hanging quilts in the clerestory, but that would be more of a project so will be discussed at a later date. It was moved by Georgianna to engage Richard in installing picture molding, not to exceed $200. The motion was seconded by Kathy P. and passed.

~ It was suggested we submit articles (perhaps a single column) into Idaho World, just before our Friends’ meeting, on a monthly basis, to encourage membership and enlighten as to who we are. Library Director, Kathy Smih, introduced Karen Benedict, the new children’s coordinator. She has many new ideas for promoting the children’s area of the Library and will be developing a program for the middle schoolers, a class for home schoolers, and a monthly group activity monthly (kids’ tea, etc.).

~ The Senior Center Holiday Bazaar, November 5th and 6th, will be manned by Kathy P., Jody and Christy. We will offer All Along the River, magnetic bookmarks, reader bags, note cards, and tee shirts. We will call work parties to assemble the reader bags and note cards on Oct. 14th at 10:00. Reminders and further communication on these parties will be done by e-mail.

~ The Christmas Bazaar in the Community Hall will be November 26th, the Saturday after Thanksgiving. At this point we have no one available to sell, so we must decline to be involved.

~ In regard to the note cards, Christy proposed using a matte card stock from Paper Express in Boise. It was moved by Georgianna to purchase a box of matching envelopes, ream of matte card stock and 250 cellophane envelopes. The motion was seconded by Richard and passed. We have an agreement with Jody Clark to use her watercolor for one year and we should consider printing a considerable amount before the agreement runs out. (Note added later: To have note cards folded and packaged for the Bazaar, we will plan on a work party following our November 3rd meeting.)

~ Christy reported two of three bolts of vinyl fabric have arrived. We will undertake tote bags as a spring project and tabled it until after Christmas.

~ To general agreement, we discussed a silent basket auction in conjunction with a pie social for St. Patrick’s Day (March 17th). Entertainment also seems a good idea.

~ Kathy S. is initiating an Oral History recording day for Tuesday, November 8th, from 10-4 at the Library. She will submit an article to the Idaho World. Georgianna will be working on oral histories the first Fridays with Syringa club members.

~ Georgianna has volunteered to work/coordinate with Karen to provide programming/art classes as appropriate

~ Book clubs: Jody talked with Barbara Olic-Hamilton at Rediscovered Book Store near 9th and Idaho. She obtained booklets of recommended books and a listing of books various book clubs have read in Boise Valley. It was decided this would be a project the Library should sponsor rather than Friends.

~ After some discussion, speakers events were tabled until next meeting.
Our next meeting will be Thursday, November 3rd.
~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment