A recent walk led to the discovery of three dogs left on a ninety-degree day with only a tub of mud for drinking water. The dogs seem healthy and happy so this may not be considered a case of abuse but this kind of negligence can lead to overheating and serious complications, according to the ASPCA.
Pets can get dehydrated quickly, so it is advised to give them plenty of fresh, clean water when it's hot outdoors. Make sure your pets have a shady place to get out of the sun.
Symptoms of overheating in pets include excessive panting or difficulty breathing, increased heart and respiratory rate, drooling, mild weakness, stupor or even collapse. They can also include seizures, bloody diarrhea and vomit along with an elevated body temperature of over 104 degrees.
It is recommended to never leave your animals alone in a parked vehicle. "On a hot day, a parked car can become a furnace in no time--even with the windows open--which could lead to fatal heat stroke," says Dr. Louise Murray, Vice President of ASPCA Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital.
A few more hints to prevent the summer blues: Not all dogs are good swimmers so it is advisable to supervise them. Sensitive paw pads can burn, so be aware of ground temperatures. Keep alcoholic beverages away from pets and avoid raisins, grapes, onions, chocolate and products with the sweetener xylitol.
Remember that many types of fireworks contain potentially toxic substances. Call your
Veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 begin_of_the_skype_highlightingend_of_the_skype_highlighting if you suspect your animal has ingested a poisonous substance.